Friday, February 26, 2010

If you can't love the one you want (Winter), love the one you got (Spring)

 
See those scraggly geraniums that I've nursed (poorly) through the early winter freezing weather (just like my grandma used to do). Well our weather is so springy that those plants were pitched outside (where it's more accepted to be scraggly). What a February when you can set your indoor outdoor-planters outside (that you kept for the second winter in a row because you're too cheap to buy new geraniums each Spring).
Today, as the boys raced around on their hot-wheels and scooters, with only wind breakers and ski-caps on (and of course other clothes, but not their ski-coats), my memories raced back to early childhood winters in NC.
Yesterday, Bryce played outside so much that his little chin got wind burned (and being all resilience it healed up overnight). Now that freezing weather seems mostly over, their days are spent speeding around the wrap-around deck, harassing the once again free-range chickens, playing with the dog, and provoking the cow to wrath (she would like to eat their toys--who knew she was part goat?).
All and all though I miss winter this year. My studded-snow tires sound excessive--like a Y2K storm cellar brimming over with non-perishables. My cashmere sweaters haven't even debuted for 2010. My snowflake decorations are limited to one sparkle wreath. Oh, if only we were breaking out the snow plow truck, trudging through brown slush, and decorating with soggy winter clothes hung up around the wood stove!
So, the stretch of a tie-in to that silly song lyric is just that since I can't revel in winter, I'm going to revel in Spring, and will schedule a pedicure way before Easter.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with ya Lauren, fellow winter-lover. . . maybe next year, huh?
    And that pedi idea doesn't sound half-bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) the cheap-o pedicure place at the mall was booked-booked-booked this weekend, so my toes are still hiding in cold-weather shoes
    b) the geraniums are now dead, and I will have to spring for new flowers this year . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't worry Lauren...my geraniums didn't even make it through the fall here:) I have to start over as soon as it decides is spring down here. I feel your pain!
    Also, thanks for all of your encouraging words...it seriously means a lot to me!Plus, you're like the bubbliest person I know, but, I'm getting better...minus the frequent blemish breakouts...stupid hormones!
    Congrats on the adoption proceedings, I'm so incredibly happy for you guys! You're such an awesome family! Hopefully I'll see you around nextime I'm in MosCow:) Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found you through the Femina blog party...I meandered through your blog and the pictures of your children are just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Never thought I'd hear of a cow that's part goat! :) It's also nice to see how you enjoy winter--maybe I can learn a thing or two from it! (ski coats, ski caps, and decorating!!! with soggy winter clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lauren,
    I feel for you in the geranium department. BUT this year I have kept a really lovely geranium (that I got for my birthday)alive all winter! It's my first real success. It is looking positively lush. Meanwhile, your boys look like they are healthy and strong, so who cares about some straggly geraniums anyway!

    ReplyDelete