Monday, November 29, 2010

Doctrine with Deacon

After settling the boys in on our bed for a movie (I believe the Care Bears Nutcracker . . . 'tis the season and all) I realized that a couple individually wrapped cough drops were very near and very tempting. Knowing that my two are capable of developing quick-onset starvation at the sight anything loosely resembling candy I swooped the cough drops up, but took a second to review the McMurray household policy on cough drop consumption.

Me: Boys, we know that only Mommy & Daddy can have cough drops. Right?
Boys: We can't have them, 'cuz we might choke.
Me: [expressive nod yes]
Deacon: [matter of factly, and quickly] Wemightchokeanddie!
Me: [as lightheartedly as possible] We don't want to choke and die.
[Then I left the room and Deacon followed me to continue on the cheerful topic, 'choke and die'.]
Deacon: But when we die, we go to Heaven and be with Oma [pause] and Jesus.
Me: Yes, when you die you go to Heaven to be with Jesus and Oma, but Mommy and Daddy want you to not choke and die.
Deacon: But if we die, it not scary. We be with Oma and Jesus.
Me: It's not scary to die . . . but God has work for you here. So we need to try not to choke and die.
Deacon: Well, when I die . . . I go and be with Oma and I see Jesus and I say, "Jesus you die on the cross" and He say, "Yes, I do".

No comments:

Post a Comment