A week or so ago I talked my sweet neighbor into joining us at the u-pick flower garden. "Just a quick trip!" I promised. It turned out to be more of a re-confirmation of many truths:*God will, on occasion, take my day in a direction I wasn't anticipating.
*Small mercies in the midst of a trial are refreshing.
*Keeping your sense of humor is a must.
We sped along the Old Pullman Highway and after a ways of gravel driving, we heard a big clunking sound. Not one to let any sort of outside sounds inhibit conversation I kept chatting away. Oh, how good that Holly was there and had some sense. She pointed out that that hadn't sounded good. I gave a chatty, "Oh yeah?" response, and kept up with what I'm sure was some fantastic storytelling. Holly wasn't to be deterred, and convinced me to stop.
Locals know that lovely "round barn". We pulled into the nearest driveway, which happened to be on the south side of the road and happened to lead up to the round barn. Yikes! Talk about a flat tire. Once we realized how flat it was, I moved the car aside to make room for cars to pass, and we saw this enormous object lodged in the tire. I have to add that as soon as I realized that the tire was flat, I was reduced to hysterical laughter. This whole thing seemed just so funny to me. The one time I promised a quick trip!
Holly was very practical and inquired about the spare tire and said she thought we could manage it. I looked at her as if she suggested performing open-heart-surgery, and said, "Oh, umm, I'll just call Phil". Thank you for cell reception.
Providence was so kind, and being stranded at the round barn driveway meant we were just a short trek from the flower garden. So we sunscreened the kiddos, grabbed our flower bucket, and railroad tracks were even provided so we didn't have to herd exuberant children along a road. We merrily descended upon Jane. Holly took a picture of me cutting peonies (my favorite flower ever), while way in the left background, just to the left of the trees you can sort of see Phil's truck (if you know it's there). So while we joyfully picked flowers and the kids sandboxed it up, Phil plugged a huge hole in my tire.
Then he came and got me and I came and got the crew. Regrettably, the plug wouldn't take, and after maybe five minutes of driving the plug completely dislodged, and Holly heard that unmistakable flat-flat tire sound. Phil had had the foresight to follow us. And then the tricky spare had to be dislodged. If only it hadn't been a busy day for the gravel road--all four kids would have enjoyed watching the tire change--when the car was way-high jacked up the kids were thrilled and called out "again"!
All and all a good day, a good story, a new tire, and friends invited us over for dinner that night . . . but Phil did point out that he didn't consider u-pick flowers to be that much of deal.

Lauren, that is such a beautiful picture of you standing in the flowers! Lookin' good!
ReplyDeletePaula
This was such a great time Lauren, who would of guessed that a tragedy occurred. :)
ReplyDelete~Holly