My first race! I didn't die, or crawl across the finish line (I threatened to do this).
Do you see the Wind Beneath My Wings, pictured here, Holly. She is amazing, an inspiration. I told her pre-race that I planned on choking on her dust, or in other words, don't fret about leaving me behind. But, boy did I miss her! When we run 3 or 4 times a week she is always chatting to me as I huff eloquent replies such as, "Oh yeah?", "That's neat!", "Sure", "Okay", "Let's", or ask questions like, "Are we halfway yet?"
I adore Holly. She began my running career. It took months (years) of reading Kelly's blog updates about marathon training, Evelyn's Facebook updates about Triathlon trips and training, Summer's casual references to "another race with my sister". Yikes! This girl needed some peer pressure! Paula's blogging and Kristin's chats about Annie's brilliant coaching were the cincher for me. I casually told Phil one day, "So I'm gonna run/walk with Holly in the morning, and then start meeting with Annie in July". Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't have a mild cardio infarction.
So:
Dear Holly, Kelly, Evelyn, Summer, Paula, Kristin, and Annie,
Last Saturday I ran an itsy bitsy 5K, and ya'll got me there! Keep up the posting, updates, progress reports and status updates. Maybe other moms out there will follow suit and love learning that they, like me, aren't weak like they always thought.
Love,
Lauren the Granny Runner (my superhero name)
P.S. Phil's is Green Arrow (don't blame me, or him, Grandpa Del named him that, and he's busy walking the streets of gold, so we can't argue)
3 years ago

Way to go Lauren!!
ReplyDeleteHey! I didn't know you did a race!!! Awesome!
ReplyDeletePaula
So awesome Lauren--I'm bummed I wasn't there!
ReplyDeleteHope your new REI running socks are giving you some extra comfort. I am soooooo proud of you. We love you lots, Mom & Glen
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed that you are running in addition to running after little boys. You'll be leaping over tall buildings soon I'm sure.
ReplyDelete