Bryce and his classmate, Clive, have very close birthdays, so this year Clive's mom and I decided to share the love and do a double birthday party. We roped the dads in, with Clive's dad putting on a magic show, and Bryce's dad organizing an obstacle course for the bikes. I think both dads were pretty pumped.
Phil thought it was awesome, and when I was breaking the news to him about what I'd signed him up for I helpfully said, "You know honey, use ropes and things and the hose to make some bumps . . ." Phil looked at me [sort of aghast] and assured me, "Yeah, I think I've got the idea". You'll note a rumble strip, bump (?), and small jump, along with cones . . . and conspicuous by their abscense: no ropes or garden hoses. The kids arrived and had a bike and scooter free-for-all; which was a hoot to watch. After a good long run of zero major injuries, we lined them up and rearranged things for the obstacle course; even hootier to watch!
We followed this up with the Magic Show. So fun. Espcially the kids comments. One of the boys was not to be taken in. After every trick he'd loudly remark, "I don't belive in magic tricks!" Finally, after the finale [ropes through the magician's body trick] the boy shook his head in awe, "Well, I guess I believe in that magic trick". (Note when Phil asked the boy's sister who was about 7-ish if she'd liked the magic show, she shook her head in confident disbelief, "I don't believe in those looney-tunes magic shows".)
Hmmm, magic show and obstacle course--I tried to come with a cake that would go with Mackenzie's idea of a watermelon ice-cream bombe. Spaghetti cupcakes! Remember this? I called Rachel (while actually already en route to her house) to borrow the Hello, Cupcake! book (I'm planning to get this for my niece, Katie, for Christmas). And it was worth every bit of silliness--see Bryce's face! We worked the cake into the magic show and today I heard from another mom that her son reported that the, "cupcakes didn't even taste like spaghetti anymore!" So if you're 4, 5, 6 years old, then Mr. Miller is pretty amazing.
We had so much fun! Husbands really make the party: can you imagine us moms doing a magic show? or my wanh-wanh-wanh rope & hose obstacle course?
3 years ago


Happiest.kid.ever. So cute!
ReplyDeletePaula :)
Jack said it was SO AWESOME!
ReplyDelete