Monday, December 5, 2011

All-Boy

 
Boys like costumes. Also, lots of props: swords, shields, axes, daggers, bows and arrows, hats, glasses, belts (many a time we've ransacked the entire house in the hopes of finding the right one). A thunder hammer doesn't hurt either . . .

Dialogue is another necessary accessory. Though we have banned the bellowing of death threats, such as, "I'm going to kill your family!" Alas, when the kids memorize the Tellemarines (also I don't know how to spell 'Tellemarine', was Lewis phonetic? am I?).

Recently I got to hear a lovley talk on the life of Mary the mother of Jesus. The speaker mentioned how Mary had the priviledge of mothering a son that was all-boy but without sin. That really struck me. All the boyish vigour, and energy. All this boyish thirst to avenge the wronged and proctect their mother. All this boyish bit-chomping over getting to use their muscles and wield a hammer (thunder or carpentry).

All boy. All boy.

And my boys are.

Just thinking about how our Triune God is masculine and feminine, helps me understand all-boy. Jesus was Him in the flesh. Jesus was all-boy. That's what I've got (with that side of sin), and they remind me of their all-boyishness daily. Squeezing the toothpaste tube so hard that contents adorn the sink. Slamming the doors as loudly as they can, for fun (not out of anger). It's a weighty task to teach them how to channel all this bubbling manness into productivity, and I fail daily. Often giving silly reminders. Saying "gently" when it doens't matter. Exhorting them to do ridiculous things like, "run with quiet feet". Sheesh.

It was good for me to hear the reminder: all-boy. I'll strive to replace "run quietly" with "run like the a Calormene is after you"!

They also know that Mom needs a lot of hugs and kisses and snuggles. That Mom wants to hold their hands when we cross the street. That Mom loves to see them use their muscles when carrying groceries and opening doors. It's convicting (to me) to see this masculine and feminine play out with my children. I realize how ridiculous I can be (yes, daily) and while I'm thankful I see it, I am tremendously thankful for a husband that calls me on it.

We sure are lucky to have that man around as an example of manhood and an example of parenthood!

1 comment: