3 years ago
Monday, June 25, 2012
Pink Short List / Blue Reject List
Lately I've been daydreaming that when the baby is born he turns out to be a she. Now thanks to amazing ultra-sound technology, I'm pretty sure that this isn't going to happen--after the big ultrasound, during subsequent ones I asked if it was, "still a boy?", and turns out yes . . . nothing has fallen off or been absorbed.
So now, here I am with the light nearly visible in that tunnel, and I am all kerplempt over these really good girl names we aren't using. So now, just full to bursting with some pink treasures, I am going to highly pressure those ladies due with girls to consider these keepers:
June (Family name from Phil's side, think of his wonderful grandmother as you gaze at your infant daughter. My best friend's brother married a girl by this name, and she was the sweetest and somehow firey too girl you every met. Confident and feminine. When I discovered this name on Phil's family tree--I thought of my friend's sister in law, June and just loved it.)
Carolina (The state of my birth; the home of kudzu and ticks, but few redneck hicks . . . my paternal grandmother flew my sister and I back every summer and it because our favorite place in the world. Grandmas are amazing that way. Think of vacations, and ceiling fans, and beach trips to the best Atlantic Ocean spots ever. Taste fresh apple pie, from scratch angel food cake,and swap stories about copperheads, water moccasins, and snapping turtle escapes. Picture my sweet aunts: Lori and Nancy, and all their generous hospitality. Every time you see your daughter your mind will be filled a good smell and you'll feel peaceful. You'll love it.)
Greta (My mother and great-grandmother's name. Although, I'd pronounce it the "Garbo" way and not as though it rhymed with Rita. My poor mother, a life of suggesting an alternate pronunciation . . . takes its toll . . . My great-grandmother was a delightful woman, a lady. She wore wigs in the winter instead of a hat. She drove until she was 92+. She was fine cook, but skinny. She loved to window shop, shop-shop, and sewed better than fancy seamstresses. And I loved idea of having the name go every other generation.)
Valentine (A middle name contender. This gem is on my family tree. That wonderful paternal grandmother's father's name. Wouldn't you just have to smile every time you middle-named your kid.).
Anna (For the traveler in me, that has never gotten over how hard it is for people in other countries to say, "Lauren". Plus, it's a family name on my side and Phil's. Making all the relatives happy in one swoop. I have always LOVED this name. And can you think of a single Anna you don't like? Nope, because the name is just too perfect.)
Elise (Now this is a name of two dear friends--who both pronounce it differently. Another name that apparently only fantastic people have, because I've even met others, and every single one of them is a gem.)
*****
Phil, it seems, has some pretty strong views regarding baby boy names. Here are some those of you expecting boys should use, as they've been ix-nayed in these here parts:
Heath, Rhys, Guy, Rocco, Carter, Marcus, Socrates (another family name)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment