Monday, November 5, 2012

Deacon's pick: fancy hot dogs

















So last year my good friend, Susan, gave me that amazing super-mom tool, the framed weekly menu template.  I love this thing.  I'd gone weeks  un-dazzling my family with platefuls of down-home monotony.  Then, suddenly in October I decided to resurrect the menu board but enlist the hungry, opinionated troops.  The results were amusing: first off I did this on a Sunday evening  planning for the coming week.  Phil had just treated us to more La Madrid take out than a small family should ever consume, and I was feeling magnanimous and gourmet. 

The menu board blank, waiting, I smiled hugely to the fam and welcomed their selections, "Okay, what is something you'd love to eat this week??!!!" 
Deacon replied first, "Fancy hot dogs!"
"Okay" I say in concert aloud and to myself, then I continue to myself, "I'll do something like german sausage . . . "
Bryce pipes up, "Do I get to pick?  I know what I want!"
I smile encouragingly, "Yes, and so does Daddy, and we'll have something that Kyle likes too".
"I . . . want . . . HOT DOGS!" yells Bryce
He ended up switching to fancy tomato soup and grilled cheese. Where my children cemented their graspings of "fancy" I'll never know. But we did round out the week with some less lunch-lady meals. 

So, this photo shows Deacon, proudly enraptured by his wiener-roll-ups, or should I say fancy hot dogs.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment