
So on Tuesdays and Thursdays Bryce always has a cute little book for part of his homework. He has to read it three times for practice. Sometimes we just scoot through it. Sometimes he reads it once to me, once to Dad, and once to Grandpa or his brothers.
Last night we decided to have fun. I referenced the game, "The Doggy Licked Me"*, and we took our time with the third go through, trying out different accents and attitudes.
At one point Phil appeared in the kitchen and contributed a solid hillbilly line or two. Then he disappeared to go check on the splashing alligators in the bathtub.
Well, Bryce and I had worked our way the favorites: Scrooge McDuck, Frenchy-Pants, Speedy Gonzales, super-angry-groucho, scaredy-cat, sleepy . . . and we were ready to try something new. I said (because apparently I will never learn to be 100% appropriate), "Let's read it fast like we really have to go to the bathroom". So funny.
[a minute or two passes, Bryce and I decide to finish reading regularly]
Phil enters the kitchen. Bryce, in turn decides that he's ready for an encore says, "Mom! Let's read it again like we're going to the bathroom!!!" Oh semantics. Phil gave the me look. The, "'we're having tea with the queen here and you just burped' look". I tried to rescue my reputation, "No! No! No! I said, 'like we have to go to the bathroom! you know, fast! like you have to go--not going--go". Phil gives me another look. The, "that's not a whole lot better look. You are the mom, you know".
At this point I was laughing so hard, of course picturing someone reading the book the way Bryce had misspoken. I really did almost fall off the bar stool.
And because you're dying to know: *("The Doggy Licked Me" game is where I say that line and the boys have to guess if "I'm sad or mad or scared or happy or sleepy or grumpy or sneezy or etc". The game is a hit for helping kids connect their tone with their attitude, and also just a general way to get some major laughing with your kids at any time. So fun. I'm an amazing person for somehow forgetting where I got this idea and now claiming full credit for "The Doggy Licked Me" game).

Last night we decided to have fun. I referenced the game, "The Doggy Licked Me"*, and we took our time with the third go through, trying out different accents and attitudes.
At one point Phil appeared in the kitchen and contributed a solid hillbilly line or two. Then he disappeared to go check on the splashing alligators in the bathtub.
Well, Bryce and I had worked our way the favorites: Scrooge McDuck, Frenchy-Pants, Speedy Gonzales, super-angry-groucho, scaredy-cat, sleepy . . . and we were ready to try something new. I said (because apparently I will never learn to be 100% appropriate), "Let's read it fast like we really have to go to the bathroom". So funny.
[a minute or two passes, Bryce and I decide to finish reading regularly]
Phil enters the kitchen. Bryce, in turn decides that he's ready for an encore says, "Mom! Let's read it again like we're going to the bathroom!!!" Oh semantics. Phil gave the me look. The, "'we're having tea with the queen here and you just burped' look". I tried to rescue my reputation, "No! No! No! I said, 'like we have to go to the bathroom! you know, fast! like you have to go--not going--go". Phil gives me another look. The, "that's not a whole lot better look. You are the mom, you know".
At this point I was laughing so hard, of course picturing someone reading the book the way Bryce had misspoken. I really did almost fall off the bar stool.
And because you're dying to know: *("The Doggy Licked Me" game is where I say that line and the boys have to guess if "I'm sad or mad or scared or happy or sleepy or grumpy or sneezy or etc". The game is a hit for helping kids connect their tone with their attitude, and also just a general way to get some major laughing with your kids at any time. So fun. I'm an amazing person for somehow forgetting where I got this idea and now claiming full credit for "The Doggy Licked Me" game).


No comments:
Post a Comment