
From Left to Right are my paternal grandpa's siblings and their spouses. Opa is at the far left, and Oma (with the tiered necklace and light hair) sitting in front of him: John Christ Roussos and Beverly Joyce (Stocks) Roussos. Of his siblings, the only one I remember well is his older brother, Socrates, and his wife, Aunt Dot--such wonderful people that I knew I was missing out by not getting to know the rest better. In this picture all are gathered for a funeral.
I had the best dream even last night. Handshakes and knuckles became a thing of the past for trendy people, and though McMurrays have never been recognized for being necessarily with the times, the greeting of late was something Phil just couldn't pass on.
The new way to say, "Hello" was a friendly sparring match. That's right, you got to wrestle-on-your-feet with your friends. Men, women, kids . . . not everybody was doing it, but the trend-setters were. Plus Phil. Now, you never actually fell the floor and put anybody in a triangle. There were no half-nelsons (I don't even know what that is, so I couldn't have dreamed it anyway).
[remember I'm dreaming all this] The kids had seen Phil hello-spar with all his friends, and they were doing it with theirs. Even at church. Now, one day we had just arrived at Oma & Opa's house and for some reason (even though she's been gone for nearly 3 1/2 years) Oma is there, hostessing. Which means she was sitting down in her chair greeting everyone and telling people where to put things. Well, among the guests that day was another grey-haired, song-bird-sweatshirt-wearing granny.
At the sight of another grandma, Oma gets up from her chair, her face turned to the lady, but isn't friendly (in real life she was always friendly; a little saucy and pretty bossy, but always friendly). Oma stands facing the other grandma and crouches, shifting her weight quickly between her feet, her eyes never leaving other-granny's face. Her lips purse and her eyes get squinty.
Nodding her head once quickly, Oma stares down granny and says, "Listen Lady. I may have emphysema a bad heart and bunions, but I'm gonna get you".
Shocked! We all stop and stare. Oma is not one for jumping on board with crazy trends, and usually isn't too concerned with even knowing about them. Sure, that the other granny is going to just be struck dumb, we turn to her, with looks of apology, ready to intervene.
No reason to worry on her behalf. Other Granny says, "Oh yeah, sister." And matches my grandma's stance, shifting her weight too. Locking eyes with Oma she says, "Well, I've got osteoporosis, a trick hip and walk with a limp. Come and get it!"
Oma, grabs Other Granny's hand, but instantly falls to the ground, legs splayed, arms outreached, head to one side. During her instantaneous fall she yells, "She got me!"
. . . then they both ccc-rackkk up!
Then I woke up.
I had the best dream even last night. Handshakes and knuckles became a thing of the past for trendy people, and though McMurrays have never been recognized for being necessarily with the times, the greeting of late was something Phil just couldn't pass on.
The new way to say, "Hello" was a friendly sparring match. That's right, you got to wrestle-on-your-feet with your friends. Men, women, kids . . . not everybody was doing it, but the trend-setters were. Plus Phil. Now, you never actually fell the floor and put anybody in a triangle. There were no half-nelsons (I don't even know what that is, so I couldn't have dreamed it anyway).
[remember I'm dreaming all this] The kids had seen Phil hello-spar with all his friends, and they were doing it with theirs. Even at church. Now, one day we had just arrived at Oma & Opa's house and for some reason (even though she's been gone for nearly 3 1/2 years) Oma is there, hostessing. Which means she was sitting down in her chair greeting everyone and telling people where to put things. Well, among the guests that day was another grey-haired, song-bird-sweatshirt-wearing granny.
At the sight of another grandma, Oma gets up from her chair, her face turned to the lady, but isn't friendly (in real life she was always friendly; a little saucy and pretty bossy, but always friendly). Oma stands facing the other grandma and crouches, shifting her weight quickly between her feet, her eyes never leaving other-granny's face. Her lips purse and her eyes get squinty.
Nodding her head once quickly, Oma stares down granny and says, "Listen Lady. I may have emphysema a bad heart and bunions, but I'm gonna get you".
Shocked! We all stop and stare. Oma is not one for jumping on board with crazy trends, and usually isn't too concerned with even knowing about them. Sure, that the other granny is going to just be struck dumb, we turn to her, with looks of apology, ready to intervene.
No reason to worry on her behalf. Other Granny says, "Oh yeah, sister." And matches my grandma's stance, shifting her weight too. Locking eyes with Oma she says, "Well, I've got osteoporosis, a trick hip and walk with a limp. Come and get it!"
Oma, grabs Other Granny's hand, but instantly falls to the ground, legs splayed, arms outreached, head to one side. During her instantaneous fall she yells, "She got me!"
. . . then they both ccc-rackkk up!
Then I woke up.

I never knew your brain was such an interesting place to live! That is hilarious.
ReplyDeleteAh, Lauren. If we could only all live there in your mind :)
ReplyDelete