Saturday, October 3, 2009

Assorted Silliness (or Mom is a little weird)

 
This last couple weeks have been filled with more than the usual amount of busy baking, and the troops have been troopers about it all (getting to lick rubber spatulas and eat cake bits probably helped pull them through).

In the midst of all the baking (truly, right now the sixth cake of the weekend is ruthlessly wafting a tempting breeze my way) the boys helped me wrap a shocking number of presents. So here's part one of where I am a silly goof ball: see Bryce, peeking out of that oversize gift bag--well not only did I encourage the boys to take turns at climbing in, I actually save that bag, so that each and every time I roll out the plastic cart of gift wrap doodads, I'll have a little distraction trick up my sleeve (and yes, this time the tape and ribbon did make it through untouched).

So then moving on, we all remember and love (to varying degrees no doubt) Where the Wild Things Are. Grandma Greta was jolly enough to pass on a well worn copy to us, and it quickly became a favorite. However, for us part of reading the book now involves assigning our friends' names to each of the wild things during their rumpusing about. Some of these wild things get a new name each time, but "Colton" wild thing is always Colton, and "Katie" is always Katie, and with two friends named Jack, there is always a Jack. This week River and Flannery made their debuts. Oh, and did I mention--this was my idea.

Whilst Bryce read to me, Deacon peppered me with his most common refrain, "Mooooooommmmmmyyyyy. Mooooommmmmyyy. What's that?" [picture seizure-like pointing] and since he was perusing one of my old favorites, a Richard Scarry picture dictionary, I just had to take a brake and enjoy the silliness.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend of activity. Your "silliness" could not have a more willing audience, it seems, than Bryce & Deacon. I can just hear them chant, "Go Mommy Go, bake that cake, bake it, make it. Yea, Mommy."

    ReplyDelete