Bryce is booming with a fantastic enthusiasm for helping, and I've been trying to focus on having him do tasks that he can accomplish solo and that help emphasize how capable he is(otherwise he sees the help Deacon is getting as special attention and all of a sudden Bryce needs help with his socks!). Bryce's list of "can do's" is ever growing.
Reading a friend's blog I realized that other four year olds were emptying the dishwasher--so we've eased in with the flatware, and Bryce is quite proud. He's such an observant kid that as he sorts flatware, he narrates my sorting of the other items, "You're going to put that in the pantry, right?" "Those go up high, right?" "That's my cocoa cup, right?"
And of course the boys love teaming up to bake cookies. The KitchenAid makes just the right amount of noise to intrigue, and they are so careful to always ask, and keep fingers far away from the moving parts. They have such cheerful attitudes about hard work, and nearly always elect to help me stir, mix and chop (using that "onion chopper" thingy that they get to pound down) unless Phil is working outside and they need to help.
So yes, cooking alone is faster, less messy and pretty much a sure bet . . . but it's so boring. I mean what can compare with that casserole within which Deacon had secreted Goldfish crackers? Or the time that Bryce tasted sliced mushrooms and then carefully returned them to the chicken pot pie filling (since I couldn't identify them, I just thought that 350 degrees would kill any yuckiness, but no worries, no company that night).
I hope our boys' heads are filled up with joyful kitchen experiences. I have a wealth of cooking memories from my days of step-stool cooking, making: chocolate-carmel-pecan turtles with Grandma Jeanne, homemade pasta with Dad, cookies with Great-Grandma, everything under the sun with my terribly patient mother, and then as an adult really learning to cook in my twenties from roommates and Grandma Bev.
The boys like to recite a list of boys do/girls do, that includes, "girls wear pink", "only boys can fight 'cuz it's ugly when girls fight" (thank Narnia), "girls wear make up", "only naughty boys wear earrings", "boys and girls can hunt" (thank Phil who's trying to get me to don the camo), and the most applicable to this post, "girls and boys cook".
3 years ago


Your most impressive accomplishment in the kitchen was baklava, you could handle filo without tearing it a bit. Your biggest blopper had to be dumping the canister of flour on your 3 yr old sister's head. Keep up the good work in the kitchen, they'll love you for it later as bachelors or as the partner of someone who does not cook. Love you, Mom
ReplyDeleteThat's funny about the flour. You were asleep and dad was on a business trip, so Adie and I thought we'd surprise you by making pancakes. When I climbed onto the counter, and then handed the flour to her, I tipped it! I think she even ended up with a little mountain of flour on her head. And, I believe that that was the very moment you walked in.
ReplyDelete