{Oooops! No pictures--I forgot my camera--so you're treated to my wonderous prose. And for the record I am not ashamed to say that I did watch the Royal Wedding--just later in the morning when BBCA re-ran it, but to make it up to Deacon--he wanted to know when the princess was going to leave the tv--let him watch Gunsmoke afterwards.}
Our very wonderful Granddaddy Dan had another birthday this Friday, and it happened to coincide with a rescheduling of Colton's first turkey hunt (the weekend before left my favorite eight year old with a rain-check).
Anticipating the immediate empty feeling that stands in during Phil's absence, we begged our sweet Grandma Greta to come visit to cheer us up (she arrived 20 minutes after Phil left and I was already filled with angst). She treated us to one of my favorite brunch spots, The Old European cafe in Pullman (Bryce had a snake pancake and ate a goodly amount of Grandma's abelskivers--he was lucky she was there, because I didn't offer to share mine). Next she treated each of us to book from Bruised Books. Then we raided Macy's (not really, but the boys love their new jammies and I can't wait to get all our new bedding through the wash and onto the beds). And she surprised us with Easter bags of loot! The hollow bunnies were the first casualties. After the boys were sugar-highed and tucked in for naps, Mom and I perused some very intriguing family tree info . . . and let's just say, I'm never going to name a daughter Isabella (sorry great-great grandma, but yikes!) Then Grandma Greta had to leave: immense sadness.
So deprived of a husband and father (and now beloved grandma), I rescued the boys from their nap and we zipped up to Coeur d'Alene to begin showering Granddaddy with birthday love. We had such a good time with cousins (it was like a reunion), and once Ava was certain that I wasn't there to take her back to Moscow with me, she was happy to see me. After an eleventh hour Costco trip (because if you can, you do), my sister and I got to enjoy a cozy-candlelight dinner (of delicioso steak) with our dad. Today, we had a great luncheon, joined by my little (big) brother Alex, followed by carrot cake--oh the [doubled] cream cheese icing, and presents. And let's just take a second to mention how much I just plain love my dad--he's fantastic. I always get all choked up writing his birthday cards, and have to hold back, so I don't sounds like the cheeseball I am.
We left Coeur d'Alene in the middle of naptime (my fault, because I first dragged my poor children through Target--I wanted everything, but somehow managed to just spend $13); which meant the car ride home bordered on disaster. As we drove and I pictured an empty house with no Phil (I know I've mentioned that I don't see how military wives do it, but really how do they?), and I was calculating just how early I could go to bed and not be pathetic. And then, minutes after unloading everything, he was home!
Last weekend, he got his tom turkey, so this weekend was all about that favorite eight year old of ours, Colton. Colton was ready to campout and a passel of willing male relatives had volunteered to brave the Spring elements to join him: his dad, Uncle Phil, Uncle Ian, and Papa Ron. Alas, miles and hours of uphill hiking, snow, snow-covered ground, wind, and rain later, camp broke up after 36 hours and I got my man. I am so glad that there were no gobblers to be seen or heard! (Colton doesn't read this blog so I can write that.)
Also, we found out that our faithful mouser, Harry Potter Cat, is not a he. Aaaggghhhh! Anybody want a kitten? Or four?
3 years ago

This made me laugh!!! You funny :)
ReplyDeletewhats wrong with the name isabella? you have kittens?
ReplyDelete