When I looked at the backseat today, this is what I saw: Bryce, smiling and cheerful, and not covered in toothpaste; Deacon covered in toothpaste, though also smiling and cheerful.
Deacon had brought his penguin backpack with us on errands. And Bryce informed me that it had both a toothbrush and toothpaste within its vast depths. I told Deacon to make sure he didn't take either out while we were running errands. Now I'm not sure whether or not he got me on a technicality, but after I announced, "Boys! That's it! All done! We're headed home to play some more!" quite unbeknownst to me the toothpaste came out.
I must emphasize, not that I knew this at the time, but piecing it all togther I recalled hearing some distinct penguin squaks (if you have a penguin of any variety you too would have recognized the distress call) and than an attentive keeper comforting, "It's okay penguin. I'll help you". Followed a bit later by Keeper Deacon's voice again, "Now for some more eye drops" and shortly after "I need to comb my [hysterical laughter] ears" (read Olivia anyone?).
Finally, Bryce was just flabbergasted by the whole situation, and said, "Mom, Deacon's got toothpaste everywhere". I peeked back quickly, and shouted, "Don't touch anything! I'm pulling over!" Not to clean up mind you, but to capture this moment for all time. Once home I asked Deacon why he'd put toothpaste on his ears and eye. He replied, "It's my costume Mom!" When I dug a little deeper, "What costume?" The answer was obvious, "A knight or a big toothpaste".
Here's to being minty fresh!
3 years ago


'Cause, ya know, it's hard to tell a knight and a big toothpaste apart. ;) Hilarious!
ReplyDelete