So I'm not going to lie to you, or even attempt to be a poser. I don't give a rat's pah-tooty about recycling, green living, or the newest eco-trend to hit my radar, upcycling (yes, I'm a little slow). Sheesh. Also, I don't so much care about organic food. Cough-cough. Yes, I am the very same woman, married to the very same Scots-Irishman that raises organique beef and pork (albeit because we only like rare meat), oh and the occasional free-range egg. I don't care! I don't want to pay more! I don't want to be like one of those people I mocked while reading Bobos in Paradise for the first time years ago.
But the truth is, I do like my friends. And I do like to support my friends. And if they care about organic, sustainable food sources, then I want to be a good friend and support them with my wallet, not just my lips. In the case of what this over-long introduction is leading up to, currently I am supporting "them" with my [husband's] wallet and my lips!
Goodweight Chickens. That's right. My friends and yours and their not so little endeavor to grace the fields of Palousedom with chicken I can cook up as rare as I want without fear of some creepy cage-born illness.
Tonight, with a little help from another friend, V. Wintz--via that hot number the church cookbook of church cookbooks, Hot Providence--our last October Goodweight Chickens chicken was done up a la, Country Roasted Chicken, page: 153. Alas, there is one typo and one omission in the recipe, so I am taking the liberty to write up this little baby for your chicken pleasure.
1 whole chix; quartered: potatoes, onions, carrots; 1 c each: chix broth, white wine (I used cheap and then drank wine whilst I cooked, just like Julia--the drinking, not the cheap wine!); s&p. I also secreted an overly large garlic clove in the cavity.
Put all this goodness in your trusty dutch oven for 1 1/2 hours on 375. Whilst this goodness is busy in the oven, saute: 2 pieces of chopped bacon (I did 4), sliced mushrooms, and garlic. *This is to be added to the pot and cooked for 15-20 more minutes . . . BUT instead, I made a roux and poured the liquid from the pot into the roux, adding s&p, and then served it all up with the sauce over the chix, with a little mushroom-bacon-garlic as a heavy garnish. Also, I extra-garnished Phil's plate with that overly-large garlic clove.
So good! So easy! Bless you Goodweight Chickens, because before you, I seldom bothered cooking whole chickens, and it's so fun, and fallish, and June Cleaverish.
3 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment