Saturday, April 14, 2012

Opa Prevailing


My Grandpa John has had an onslaught of tough to navigate this year--and it's only the first half of the 4th month!  After having a toe amputated, he had to rally through twice-a-day hospital visits for weeks.  Adie & Bart were amazing at getting him through the time preceeding when he had terrible infections and complications and helped keep him as healthy as possible.  Now they're back it, staying with him as he transitions from hospital rehab following a below-the-knee amputation. 

Today Bart got Grandpa John all situated on this shiny red scooter, and he's ready to zoom down the ramp that my own amazing husband made (having guys-with-tools in the family is a huge perk). So here's to Opa (Grandpa John) and our husbands who have stepped up to be there for a grandpa-in-law, and treated him so well.

Opa's mom had sixteen children, saw eight of them go to Heaven when they were still young, and then rallied only to die in her early fifties.  My grandpa's been through a poor childhood with sicknesses, Korea, and then a rich life of robust living my Grandma Bev, with that monkey (diabetes) on his back never slowing him down.  I know I shouldn't be surprised that he's such a trooper, with such a fierce will to live, but here I am surprised.  He's a good example to my sons--that's right, even with his sailor's mouth and razzing ways (they're too young to notice).

1 comment:

  1. Joani Nelson AuchSaturday, April 14, 2012

    You can't pick your relatives but somehow God gives us ones who create who we are in ways amazing and sometimes questionable. I'm glad you're one of mine. What a gracious tribute to your family members thru a tough time. These struggles will fade in the passage of time but seem so intense and consumiming when going thru them, I know. John has a big heart and a big personality I'm sure with some of the recent struggles. How extremely wonderful for your mom that Adie and you all have been so involved with all that she's been dealing with lately.Bless your hearts! I've really enjoyed the pictures you and Adie have posted of your beautiful families. Just wanted to encourage you in these recent struggles. You are 'passing it forward' and also being a great example of respect and love for our elderly family to your children. Wish we lived closer - hope you can feel the hugs from here. If you need any help with home health or accessability ideas I've been a home health nurse for 23 yrs. and might have helpful ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete